Sunday, March 15, 2009

Footage of a Footling Breech Birth

This was posted last year on the "Homebirth: A Midwife Mutiny" blog, but I just saw it for the first time recently - and it's awesome! It's footage of a homebirth with a footling breech - the hardest type of breech baby (when the feet are the presenting part rather than the rump). The mum and the midwife did an awesome job, and it was great to watch, and very instructive and encouraging. Check this video out here!

It's sad, but almost 100% of breeches now are born surgically in-hospital, and most doctors are not even trained in how to attend vaginal breeches safely (the technique is quite different and requires much more patience and "hands-off-ness"). Midwives are now some of the only maternity caregivers who have the knowledge of how to catch breech babies safely.

As a side note, I just noticed that I used the term "delivered" three times in the above paragraph. As I had JUST (not 5 minutes ago) made a new resolution never to use that term in my writing again, I went and replaced it with better terms! That decision was made after reading Kathy's blog entry "The D-Word" on why the term "delivered" is so demeaning to the birthing woman, as in "the doctor delivered the woman's baby for her" (Like heck he did! She's the one doing the work!). So just as I say "client" instead of "patient" (a pregnant woman is not sick and should not be under anyone's authority), I will now do my best to say "attended" or "assisted" or "caught" in reference to a care provider and "birthed" in reference to the mother. Let's give credit where credit is due!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!