Tuesday, March 10, 2009

National Day of Appreciation for Abortion Providers

In honor of the National Day of Appreciation for Abortion Providers, I thought I would like to write a quick note about why I do not appreciate abortion providers! It's only fitting.

Anyone who has read this blog for more than a couple of entries has probably gotten the idea that I am pro-life. Well, here it is officially: I am. I have not done a lot of abortion-specific articles simply because this is a natural birth blog rather than a right-to-life blog, but I want every part of this blog to be life-affirming. It is a bit intimidating to even write on the subject, just because I know that most natural birth blogs (being, as the movement is, wrapped up in feminism and patient/women's rights) are pro-abortion, and I know that I risk both negative backlash and lost readership. However, one must stand for what one believes is right, and it's time for some pro-life birth blogs. However, if you are pro-choice, know that I love you! If you would like to have a calm, respectful discussion, feel free to leave a comment and I'll get back with you. If you would like to be incendiary and hateful, please don't bother leaving a comment. I've seen the abortion debate degenerate too often into a screaming match, and this does not do anyone any good.

It is also difficult to write on the subject simply because with abortion, one risks descending into what can only be described as a diatribe - a derisive denunciation of the other side (think Ann Coulter) which generally gets people on one's side saying, "Yeah! That's right!" and people on the other side even more deeply divided and set against what you had to say. That is not the purpose of this article. My one purpose is to have pro-choice readers examine their views and question the goodness of what they are defending.

My history, for the record: I was raised pro-abortion and stayed that way, strongly, until sometime around early college, when I took a good look at what it was I was defending - and thereafter began the gradual journey into my current pro-life position. On the way I slid through most of the "in between" positions - "wrong except in rape/incest/fetal abnormalities," "wrong except in rape/incest," etc. Only when I finally came to the resting place of acknowledging all human life as sacred did I know true peace on this issue.

There are only two possible justifications for abortion: (1) Abortion is okay if the unborn child is not a human being, and (2) Abortion is okay if there are certain groups of human beings who do not have the same rights as other human beings.

As to the humanity of the unborn, let's get realistic. Either the unborn child is fully human and thus sacred from the moment of conception, or no human life is sacred (as one abortionist so aptly put it, "What exactly is it about passage down the birth canal that suddenly makes a baby sacred?"). All of the "non-human to human" transition points that have been thought up (such as "not human until the heart starts beating," "not human until the age of viability," "not human until breathing on its own") are purely artificial human constructions that have no basis in objective fact. From the moment of conception, the baby's hair color, eye color, personality traits, and an innumerable host of other characteristics are already determined. The baby is growing and developing from day one. All attempts to dehumanize the unborn infant (calling a baby a "fetus" or "products of conception") are just that - human attempts to reason away the humanity of an infant so that its killing does not seem so heinous.

And if an unborn infant is human, then the idea that some human beings just don't have rights is absolutely despicable. All human beings deserve the right to a natural, God-ordained (rather than humanly-ordained) lifespan which cannot be pushed aside for the convenience of other human beings who don't want to deal with the bother of an "unwanted" or inconveniently handicapped child.

The abortion movement has been wrapped up in some absolutely lovely, mouth-watering terms: Freedom. Choice. Every child a wanted child. Women's rights. Patients' rights. Privacy. But at the end of the day, what do we find? Do we find freedom and empowered women? No. We find the horribly mutilated bodies of countless babies (over 50 million since 1973) being thrown out with the trash in biowaste bags. And that is the literal truth. Go look at some abortion pics on the internet and tell me what you see - you will see dead babies. Nothing more, nothing less. There is no freedom - only death, in the most brutal way and visited upon the most innocent, vulnerable and fragile of all human beings, those who most deserve our tenderest and move loving care and protection.

I could write all day about this subject, going into the various reasons for abortion and defending my position. But I don't need to get long-winded. Maybe I'll cover some of those subjects later. For now, I just want the thoughtful reader to truly think.

Thus, if you are pro-life, get active! Participate in 40 Days for Life. Participate in the Red Envelope Campaign. Go find an abortion clinic and spend some time in prayer there.

And if you are pro-choice? Please spend some time in deep thought. Think past the rhetoric, the campaign slogans, the propaganda. Realize what "choice" means. And decide whether or not that "choice" is where you want to put your heart.

Closing with the words of Mother Teresa:

"Yours is the one great nation in all history which was founded on the precept of equal rights and respect for all humankind, for the poorest and weakest of us as well as the richest and strongest. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. I have no new teaching for America. I seek only to recall you to faithfulness to what you once taught the world. Your nation was founded on the proposition very old as a moral precept, but startling and innovative as a political insight that human life is a gift of immeasurable worth, and that it deserves, always and everywhere, to be treated with the utmost dignity and respect."

8 comments:

  1. As a product of conception, I whole-heartedly agree with this!!

    -Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I'm going to link this article on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard someone say the other day "If it wasn't a baby, you wouldn't be pregnant" I thought that summed it up nicely. It seems to make sense that those in the birth community, should value birth and life. I've never, ever met someone who aborted a child and didn't regret it or have at least some remorse. They convince women that it's just a procedure you get through. It's not. It's a lifetime of regret and the loss of a child. I know as a mother, I myself could never get past something like that. And I Loved each of my children from the moment their spirits came. That was long, long before they descended the birth canal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOur blog, your opinion. You are entitled to it. I applaud that you are taking a stand. I don't always agree with prolifers especially when they shoot Doctor who offer abortions.

    Personally, I consider my own body to be prolife. However it would suck at 40 to have another baby. I guess I would get over it. I guess I am probirth control.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is so well written and insightful. Beautiful. Thank you for writing it! I'm with you, Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about children who are raped and become pregnant? Do you realize that when girls 5-12 years old give birth, their hips are not wide enough yet to pass a child? This can result in the death of the child and her baby inside from being smashed with each contraction into her pubic bone with no where for the baby to come out. These girls die in 3rd world countries where they are not allowed to have an abortion and csections are hard to come by. Why should a child who has been raped be forced to give birth and risk death? Women in countries that ban abortions regularly imprisoned for having stillbirths and miscarriages. Women result to coathangers, manual abortions from smashing the fetus repeatly until miscarriage occurs, or toxic herbal remidies. These women dont want to see sebsequent children starve to death. In other countries like China, they are so overpopulated they will kill full term healthy babies, throwing them in a bucket to die, or injecting solutions into their skull as they are crowing at birth. They force sterilization and IUDs on women. Abortion truly isn't the worst thing in this world as compaired to what other babies are put through. What about the fetus with Anencephaly, a condition with a 0% survivability rate? Also babies born missing brains, spinal cords etc. These conditions are not compatible with life. Sometimes women are not pregnant with a baby, have you ever heard of a molar pregnancy? I have heard of stories of Christian hospitals refusing D&C when a fetus has died, insisting on waiting until the woman has signs of infection until proceeding with an "evil abortion". These evils are apart of this world. We can only be thankful we don't have to go through what these women have to endure. Abortion was too created by God who also conceived of all good and evil in this world. Abortions when used for the right purposes can save lives. Abortions can also be dangerous when used on pregnancies past the 1st trimester and repeat procedures can weaken the cervix. Abortions are also overused and I condone using abortion as a birth control practice. I also do not support the selling of abortions in clinics what so ever. We must support the lives of women and protect their rights. Abortion (when necessary), birth control, education, decreasing poverty, caring for newborns and standing up for women is what we must support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misses Moldavskaya - I can see that you and I disagree on almost every point with regard to birth control and abortion. However, I also see that you have a good heart and are offering honest and heartfelt criticism, and are not trying to be unkind. Thank you for your comment and the time you put in to writing out your thoughts.

      As you can see, I no longer blog at this site, but I'm always glad to see people stopping by.

      Have a lovely day,
      Diana

      Delete

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!