Monday, May 7, 2012

Placenta Medicine! Need I Say More?

Do I really need an excuse to link to a couple of articles on my favorite subject, placenta medicine? Surely not! Try these on for size:

Why I Ate My Placenta (And Why Moms-to-be May Consider It)
"When my midwife first told me about people eating their placentas, I have to admit that I became nauseous thinking about it, but I was curious so I asked her to tell me more. She informed me that almost all female mammals (with the exception of camels and sea living mammals) eat their placentas, and that many women in other countries eat their placentas, and that in some places, like Japan, older women actually pay good money for the placentas of women who recently gave birth. My midwife then said that one reason women consider it is because it helps to balance out a woman’s hormones, and prevents/cures postpartum depression. The words postpartum depression resonated with me and inspired me to do some of my own research." 
 And then:
 "I drank placenta smoothies 3 times a day for three days and though I can’t know for certain that it’s the reason why I didn’t become depressed, I do think it played a role. I did have much more energy than I did after I had my son, and I did see a significant increase in my milk supply." 

 And also, from Michelle:

  Top Ten Reasons to Eat Your Placenta

 I love reasons #2 and #3:
 "(2) Everyone’s doing it - Like I said, it’s very common for mammals to consume their own placenta. If all mammals carry and nurse their babies then maybe we should take a cue from them. And people do it too. I wanted to do it. Just because you never heard of it until now doesn’t mean it isn’t happening.  
"(3) It’s real, and it’s whole - Which is more than I can say for half the crap most people eat everyday. I’d eat 3 placentas before I’d eat a Lean Cuisine." 
 And finally, from a doula friend of mine:

  Why Placenta Encapsulation?

 She writes:
"The known ingredients that give the placenta its healing properties are: 
 Gonadotrophin: the precursor to estrogen, progesterone and testosterone,
Prolactin: promotes lactation,
Oxytocin: for pain and bonding; produced during breastfeeding to facilitate bonding of mother and infant. In pharmaceutical form this is a very addictive drug because it promotes a feeling of connectedness with others,
Thyroid stimulating hormone: boosts energy and helps recovery from stressful events,
Cortisone: combats stress and unlocks energy stores,
Interferon: stimulates the immune system to protect against infections,
Prostaglandins: anti-inflammatory,
Hemoglobin: replenishes iron deficiency and anemia, a common postpartum condition,
Urokinase inhibiting factor and factor XIII: stops bleeding and enhances wound healing, Gammaglobulin: immune booster that helps protect against postpartum infections." 

 Amen! If you haven't checked out placenta encapulsation for your births, definitely give it a try! It works and it is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!