Friday, November 6, 2009

Reflections on Lynsee's Birth

I saw on Facebook tonight that a first-time mom, Lynsee, was broadcasting her labor and birth on the web via a live webcam recording, so I went on over to check it out. As a matter of fact, it's still going on, and if you're in time you can probably see it:

Lynsee's Labor

First of all, good job, Lynsee! Brave girl! And congrats on your upcoming birth! I think it's just awesome that she is broadcasting this.

But watching her labor made me think.

Just a few minutes after I started watching, the screen went blank and I learned that she had opted for an epidural. I was hit with a feeling of overwhelming sadness, and I haven't really checked back much since. I am sad for what she is missing.

Don't get me wrong, and don't write me with complaints of epidural bashing. I don't blame any woman for getting an epidural. Let me be blunt: I spent most of my first labor screaming. And if an epidural had been available, I would have gladly accepted it at least six hours before our baby was born.

But it wasn't available, as I was birthing at home. As a result, I was forced to live through the pain rather than taking the escape route, and I went on to have an all-natural birth which was the most ecstatic and meaningful event of my life. I would not trade it for the world. Ditto for my second birth. My birth experiences have given me an intense sense of pride, of meaning, of self-worth - it's really hard to explain. And I am simply grieved for any woman who doesn't get that experience. Not only does she miss out on all that, but she is left with the feeling that "it was too hard and I couldn't do it" - when she could have. She could have done it just like I did - if the escape route hadn't been easy and available, she could have done it.

Does this make sense to anyone? I don't mean to be negative toward women who take epidurals. Most of my friends are intense fans of them! And I know that I would have taken and loved an epidural with both of my births had they been available. But I'm so glad they weren't.

And that's one of the main purposes of this blog - to encourage women in birth. It isn't the least bit fun at the time (for most women), but it is the most empowering thing in the world. There's nothing in the world like it.

And that's why watching this birth made me sad (and why I don't frequent birth stories/videos of hospital births - I stick with homebirths). I hope Lynsee gets another chance with a subsequent baby to experience the beautiful, God-given miracle which is natural childbirth. It's meant the world to me, and I hope it will to her should she ever be blessed with a drug-free birth.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, and she was EIGHT cm when she got it!

    I loved your points. I am hoping for a dope-free birth myself.

    Also, what sort of HOSPITAL where heart attack victims are treated has an on-site McDonalds????
    :)

    -Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't able to watch the birth, but I kept up with the updates on it. The one thing that gets to me is before she got the epi, all she said was 'im tired, I think I want the epi.' and no one told her she could do it. no one encouraged her to keep going. she said epi and they jumped on it.

    it makes me sad that this birth would have been completely different at home or even if she had had a doula.

    another gripe with it is she didn't nurse until 27 mins after the birth. they took the baby for treatments and measurements while the baby cried for mom and her hunger. I stopped listening to the updates then cuz it made me cry.

    I'm glad she was able to have the birth she wanted, but the way it was handled just makes me sad and wished she truly knew what she was missing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And yeah, Kayce, I noticed that too. I was thinking I'd have been pretty demanding at that point.
    GIVE. ME. MY. BABY. NOW!

    But off went the baby for her cord to be cut and her Hep-B shot to be administered and God knows what else, all while she just wanted her mommy to hold her.

    She is a darling baby, isn't she?
    :)

    -Cathy

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!