Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Must-Read Story

I am cross-posting this link from my hyperemesis blog. I have a passion for hyperemesis activism and awareness, and I believe that every birth worker should be well-acquainted with hyperemesis gravidarum, and its implication for mothers who contract it. In both the allopathic and the naturopathic medical worlds, there is an unfortunate and deplorable tendency to write off hyperemetic mothers as women who are "just exaggerating" normal morning sickness, and to recommend unhelpful remedies such as ginger and dry crackers. Birth workers, please educate yourselves on the topic so that you can recognize mothers who truly need help. And please do check out this story from one mother:

Islands of Grief, Mountains of Joy

I cried reading her story. Be forewarned, it is intense. But so desperately needed, as well. Hyperemesis is a disease that needs to be brought into the light, and we can only do that by sharing information and stories.

If you want to know more about hyperemesis, click the link over to my blog and check out the side-bars - I have a collection of hyperemesis stories and blogs and websites that will give you tons of information. 

1 comment:

  1. Again, thank you for your support as it means so much to me. As big believer in hypno-birthing, and a huge supporter and advocate of natural birth, I am enjoying having your site to visit now.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!