Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Parenting Book Recommendations

I wanted to send out an "I love these books" recommendation for the following, by Dr. Kevin Leman:

Have a New Kid by Friday: How to Change Your Child's Attitude, Behavior & Character in 5 Days

Making Children Mind without Losing Yours

Most parenting books, I have found, are way too heavy on principle for me. By "principle," I mean vague directives like this:

- "Look for the heart message in what your child is saying"
- "Use biblical methods for discipline"
- "Teach your children good manners"
- "Don't let your children be disrespectful"
- "Parent gently"

And etc. I'm just not bright enough for those! I need things that say "when you see bad behavior A, respond with action B." These are the books for that! I'm looking forward to reading his other books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!