Thursday, May 10, 2012

"Top Ten Tips" for Severe Morning Sickness

I'm still reading through this blog, and thought I'd post her top ten tips for living through hyperemesis!

My Top 10 Tips if I Had My Time to Do Over Again

This mama dealt with hard-core hyperemesis (severe nausea and vomiting of pregnancy), and her blog is a fascinating read and great resource. Highly recommended!

***

One more article to share from today (h/t to the HER Foundation Facebook Group for the article).... I am thrilled to see hyperemesis getting mainstream media air time. Good job!!

The only weird thing from the article was this quote:
"HG goes away after the first trimester for most women, but not Burdett. 'Only about 20% or less will continue to have nausea and vomiting after week 22 or so,' said Robison."
Two statements there, both of them puzzling.

"HG goes away after the first trimester for most women." Exactly where did THAT data come from? Seriously? I have never heard of any HG woman whose hyperemesis miraculously resolved at the end of the first trimester. Anyone? Anyone? And even if someone out there is found whose HG did end with the first trimester, it's a rarity at best. But I've never heard of anyone like that. (Cue a flood of emails from indignant women whose HG did end at 13 weeks. In that case, I'll eat crow!)

And secondly, another statement from left field: "Only 20% or less will continue to have nausea and vomiting after week 22 or so."I hate to be repetitive, but.... Seriously? Most HG mothers have nausea and/or vomiting till the very end - nausea for sure if not vomiting. Even my "mild" HG gives me constant nausea levels till the very end (and then some). Again, are there any HG women out there whose nausea/vomiting stopped absolutely by week 22? For goodness' sake, let me know!

This really makes me wonder about data quality in whatever source the doctor was quoting. Thoughts, anyone???

And now, have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!