Thursday, October 14, 2010

It's 9:00 p.m. ..... Do You Know Where Your Midwife Is?

I know where mine is! She is currently - yes, really! - at The Farm in Tennessee, cavorting with internationally renowned midwife Ina May Gaskin and having a blast. May I say that I am dying of envy? I can't wait to see her pictures and hear all about it when she gets back! If she posts pictures publicly, I'll link to them.

For anyone to whom that was gibberish... Ina May Gaskin is one of the United States' (and the world's) most famous midwives - she was one of the founders of the United States grassroots midwifery awakening movement (I just penned that phrase) that got homebirth back as a reality in the United States. She has an obstetrical maneuver named after her - the Gaskin maneuver, for relieving one of birth's most serious emergencies, shoulder dystocia - and is an acclaimed lecturer and teacher on the subjects of homebirth, birth in general, and breech birth. She has authored the books "Spiritual Midwifery" (an early, hippy-type text) and the wonderful "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth," which is one of my favorites.

Have a wonderful time, dear friend!

1 comment:

  1. How LUCKY is she??!! What a chance of a lifetime. I love Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, that is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!