Saturday, March 27, 2010

Birth Story: Rebecca Overson's Story

I found a lot of really interesting material in this birth story!

Rebecca Overson's Birth Story

This is an LDS woman's story of giving birth, and it is interspersed with a lot of spiritual thought. Although I do not share her faith (being a Protestant Christian), there was a lot that got me thinking - especially about the need to face fears, rather than living in constant fear (a bad habit of mine). I love what she says here:

"Tears streamed down my face as I realized I have lived my whole life in fear of so-called bad things happening to me, that could in fact, be the very things that I need to experience in this life to attain glory in the next. If that is the case, why would I shrink back from anything? In my attempt to avoid the fear and pain and discomfort that comes with mortality, I couldn’t help but see how I drew it nearer to me and caused more pain. In this new awareness I found myself saying, “Yes, I AM willing. I Am. So be it.” My heart burst wide open and all those fears just slipped away as I said YES to all of life."

She then linked that principle to birth:

"It was in this state of mind- this intense willingness to feel what it feels like to be alive – to intently receive EVERYTHING that life has to offer me – that I gave birth to our second son. I was totally, completely willing to experience birth fully, unlike I had ever done before. I knew it was going to hurt, but I was willing to feel whatever it felt like. I knew I was going to reach that intense point during transition and have thoughts like “I can’t do this, I’m going to die” - and I welcomed those thoughts. I didn’t take them seriously. I knew they would come, and I welcomed them. I was totally open to the possibility that this could be another 15 hours of excruciating back labor."

One reason I especially loved this birth story was the two photos shown at the end. They are gorgeous. Beyond gorgeous. When I saw the second picture, the one immediately post-birth when she is holding her baby, I immediately thought: "THIS is why I am blogging. This is what I am passionate about. I want EVERY woman to have this moment!"

Thanks for sharing!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Diana, thanks for re-posting my story! Happy to inspire. xox Rebecca Overson

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome! Thanks for stopping by!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!