Tuesday, March 2, 2010

First Baby vs. Second Baby, Episode I: Solid Food

Here's a small glimpse into the vast difference between first and second babies.

The event: Baby's first non-milk food!

Baby #1:

The day is put on the calendar. I'm madly reading books on baby food. I select the food - it is to be (drum roll, please!) sweet potatoes. Is it the right food? Is it not? Tension builds. The day arrives. Baby is in high chair, daddy is ready with the camera, food has been carefully prepared with ultra-clean dishes. First bite; entire family cheers; moment goes down in history.

Baby #2:

The day after baby's six-month birthday, I'm sitting at the table eating breakfast with our son; baby is on my lap. Suddenly I realize "Oh yeah, he could have some food now!" So I pop my spoon into my yogurt, nip up a bit of it and stick it in baby's mouth. I go on eating breakfast.

Need I say more?

Actually, I'm thinking of holding off on solids for a little bit - making baby food (though fun!) is time-consuming, and some things I've read lately have downplayed the importance of solid foods prior to baby's first birthday. I probably wouldn't wait that long, but I'm not going to fuss about a month or two. And since we don't see our ped for another four months or so, he won't have a chance to fuss either! (Heh heh heh.....)

Love to all! Off to watch kidlets!

1 comment:

  1. Hee hee. So true. I'll never buy a jar of baby food again. :-)

    Thanks for posting my button!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!