Tuesday, March 16, 2010

"On Call" for the First Time

This past week was the first time in my life that I have ever been "on call" for a birth. That is, "sort-of" on call! Actually, though I was on call for a birth, it had nothing to do with a birth. I am doing substitute accompanist work at a church while their full-time accompanist is on her maternity leave, and as she wanted to work up until the very last second, I was on call!

I did get "the call" on Saturday afternoon that she thought she might be in early labor, so I did end up playing on Sunday morning. Thankfully I was prepared even though I didn't think I'd be called! (And baby was born shortly after midnight on Sunday morning - which is one oh-so-very short labor for a first time mama!)

So, what did I think of being on call (as it's basically the same thing I'd be doing in any doula or midwifery work)? Interesting! Very interesting. Kind of a low-level nervousness, a "high-alert" method of walking around my normal day, a heightened awareness of listening for the phone, making plans, wondering. I don't know if I'd be good at it or not! I know it wouldn't be easy, as I'm a list-making, control-freak, planning type - it would definitely take some adjustment. The future may or may not tell for sure (based on whether or not I ever dive into that work), but it was an interesting first experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!